The following is a short list of some of the largest landfills in the world. There are so many still in existence that should be shut down, due to the emissions they are producing that are hazardous to residents and the health of the environment. Unfortunately, not all countries are able to open up a new landfill site very easily.
10. Dandora – The 3.5 million people of Nairobi, Kenya drop off around 1,900 tons of trash each day to this landfill. Many of the locals complain of breathing problems and other health-related issues. Slowly, the residents are trying to make things better by trying to incorporate more recycling into their daily lives.
9. Malagrotta – Apparently there has been some concern about this landfill. The amount of benzene and arsenic discovered in the groundwater is well over world-recognized limits. In fact, benzene levels are 12 times higher than they should be, while arsenic is 200 times higher. The 3,700 daily tons of trash hauled to this landfill in Lazio, Rome, Italy will only increase these levels even more.
8. Deonar Munbai, India – takes around 4,000 tons of trash each day to this particular landfill. Most landfills last no more than 30 years, but this one is still going and it doesn’t seem to be stopping any time soon. 110 of the 127 hectares are loaded with trash. Around 1,200 trucks drop off more garbage each day.
7. Atlantic Waste Disposal Landfill – A daily amount of 4,900 tons of trash are delivered to this dump in Waverly, Virginia, USA. This landfill accepts everything from scrap metal to solid waste. The waste is dropped off either via truck or railroad car.
6. West New Territories – The people in Nim Wan, Tuen Mun, Hong Kong rely on this landfill to hold their 5,700 tons of trash dropped off daily. This is the largest of 3 landfills located in Hong Kong, out of the 16 original ones created long ago.
5. Apex, Las Vegas – Nevada residents create most of the 5, 900 tons of trash taken in by this landfill daily. Which is an amazingly high amount considering the population is just fewer than 2 million people.
4. Laogang – 9,100 tons of daily trash is dropped off at this landfill in Nanhui, Shanghai, China. This is actually one of the biggest gas-producing dumps in Asia. It is located on the outskirts of Shanghai.
3. Puente Hills Whittier, Los Angeles, California – This landfill receives around 9,300 tons of refuse daily. This isn’t the main landfill for the entire city of Los Angeles, otherwise the number of daily tons would be much higher.
2. Bordo Poniente – 11,000 tons of garbage is brought to this landfill in Nezahualcoyotl, Mexico city, Mexico. Due to the excessive amount of trash brought in daily, there are tons of methane emissions given off. Approximately 1.5 million tons of methane is produced yearly.
1. Sudokwon – This landfill in Incheon, South Korea brings in close to 18,000 tons each day. Around 21 million people use this particular landfill, which would explain why there’s so much garbage being dropped off daily.
Had you heard about any other trash sites that should be added to this list of the largest landfills in the world?
Since 1989, HSA Golden has provided environmental engineering and consulting services to clients all over the world. Our practice areas include solid and hazardous waste management, waste-to-energy, site development engineering, environmental due diligence, and litigation support, among others. From governmental agencies and multinational, publicly traded corporations to smaller, single-office real estate and legal firms, we are proud of not only the relationships we have built, but also of the trust that our clients place in us.