Contamination Assessment: Former Ellman Battery Site
Investigations performed jointly by the Florida Department of Environmental Protection and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 2007 and 2008 indicated that elevated concentrations of lead (and to a lesser extent antimony, arsenic, barium, and copper) were present in soil and groundwater. The Client was required to assess the extents of soil contamination to confirm regulatory agency investigative results.
- Established a grid network at the site to facilitate sample collection.
- Collected eighty composite soil samples from selected grid locations.
- Chemically analyzed soil samples for total antimony and lead.
- From chemical analytical data, calculated (on a preliminary basis) volume of impacted soil.
- Confirmed regulatory agency results.
- Prepared cost estimates for excavation and long-term groundwater monitoring using both excavation and in-place containment scenarios.